Thursday, July 22, 2010

Humble Humble Bumble Bee



Last Sunday I went to Lanier Elementary to help out. Most of the tasks were already completed, so we mostly cleaned up and packed the materials that could be useful for the next school NBC's show School Pride decides to renovate. It's always nice to see people of all ages coming together to help out the community. During one unloading job, we even formed an assembly line and passed the materials from one person to the other. It was awesome!! I got a great workout, met great people, and overall just felt wonderful afterwards. The show definitely has its heart in the right place, and I hope it will continue for many seasons to come. All children, regardless of economic background, deserves an adequate education in the proper environment.

While I was there, I met this awesome chick. She volunteered for 5 out of the 7 days they were renovating. She knew all of the crew members by name. She made an effort to greet everyone that passed. She kept us entertained while we rested. That girl was FULL OF LIFE!! I swear she made me look like a sloth in comparison! She was just radiating with positive aura and simply amazing!

That was until she started bragging... about how much fun she is...how much volunteering she does...blah blah blah. I don't know what it is about bragging, but it decreases the value of a person. She didn't lie. She was fun to be around, she does volunteer a lot, etc. Yet the moment she made it known, she immediately became less appealing. I was so puzzled by that. I honestly felt guilty because I knew she deserved the right to boast.

Then a word popped into my head. Humans obviously felt the need to create a word that would describe one of the most valued characteristics of mankind: humility. A characteristic marked by modesty and meekness. I believe humbleness is valued due to its rarity. People are constantly trying to associate themselves with an identity to strengthen their self-importance in this world. So in order to prove to others of their successes, they typically boast. It didn't make her any less of a person, she's still that great gal...just not humble. For some odd reason, people just don't like it when other people brag...

What I have learned from all this is that people are very capable of seeing what you do. People are capable of discovering who you are. You don't have to make it known. I know it's hard because we're proud of who we are and just want to tell the world of our accomplishments to prove ourselves to others. However, it's unnecessary because people will see you for who you are regardless of what you say. And for those that can't see your qualities, well they should not matter anyhow. Just be the best person you can be and let the world find out for itself. You shouldn't have to force down anyone's throat how great of a person you are.

I know it surely is a bad habit of mine... but I'm definitely going to work on it. On my way to becoming a humble humble bumble bee... wish me luck!! 8)

No comments: